Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Operation Bonnet

Yes it is Wednesday. And yes- I have already read two books this week. I would like to compare this record to last week, in which it took me an ENTIRE week to read one single book! Now, that is usually not the norm for me, because I happen to be a very fast reader. But for some reason, every time I sat down to read I could not keep my eyes open. *Insert big, huge dramatic sigh*  Luckily, things are different this week.
First off I have to admit that I’m usually not one for reading Amish fiction. It just seems that there’s too much of it out there. But thanks to Hillary Manton Lodge, I have begun reading more Amish fiction. It’s been a little hit-and-miss, some were boring, and some were absolutely wonderful. Luckily, this latest book was a hit!  
Operation Bonnet, written by author Kimberly Stuart, centers on Nellie Monroe, twenty-year-old town luminary and hopeful private investigator. Unfortunately for her, her small town is anything but exciting, and just when it seems that she’ll never get a case, she meets Amos Shetler. Amos has recently left the Amish community where he grew up, but he still has feelings for the girl he left behind. So he hires Nellie to go undercover and check up on his old girlfriend. In true style she straps a bonnet onto her head, and talks her way into some Amish cooking lessons.
But things don’t go exactly as planned and soon she’s dug herself into a hole; alienating her best friend, angering those around her, and all-around botching up her case. Will she be able to repair what she’s fixed, and will she be able to solve her very own first case? And will she possibly learn some lessons while she’s at it?
The book plainly states on the back cover that this is: “NOT Your Grandmother’s Amish Fiction” and I have got to say that it’s true! The book was refreshing, I absolutely came to love all of the characters, and there were also a LOT of laughs.  There also might have been a tear or two, but well, I tend to cry pretty easily. So all in all, I have to say that the book was very enjoyable and I highly recommend reading it, because you will not be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. So far I have really enjoyed ALL the books you recommended! Especially the last batch before I left town! The Cubicle Next Door was sooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooooo glad you liked them! I knew you would! And yes- Cubicle Next Door is a GREAT book!

    ReplyDelete